Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Ministry of Being Okay

source

Everyone at work gets a slightly ominous email about individual meetings with the boss on Monday.
The only logical thing? Everyone is getting fired.

You and the boy you love can't get on the same page at the same time that your best friend is going through a similar crisis. Everything is probably falling apart. And I mean everything. All over the world. Probably.

There are so many questions to answer and things to figure out and it all has to happen in the next two weeks.
Now everything is surely falling apart.

**************

I feel like this summer kicked off a non-stop frenzy of craziness flying at me at 60 mph. Maybe 70. And for someone known for occasional panic attacks that include crying and hyperventilating, I should be out of the race at this point. There were times that I wanted to move to Fiji and not leave a forwarding address. (Sometimes I think I might still do that, but mostly because Fiji looks so nice in pictures.)

After all the recent struggle, I want to make sure you know that there's something brave about being okay.
There's something about having every right and reason to have a meltdown and then not doing so.

My friend Dustin said "98% of the things we're worried about never happen." Now, I don't think he's done any sort of professional survey, so I'm going to guess that the 98% part is just a number he came up with, but I don't have any studies to contradict it. In this case, let's just say 98% is valid. 2% of the time, yes, that ominous email is about losing your job. Maybe that phone call from that cute kid IS to tell you it's not the right time for the two of you and that's because it's the right time for him and somebody else. Those things are rude, but most of the time I'm spinning my wheels over something that is never even going to become reality. I never get that lost time back. It's been invested in something that will never result in a return and that's poor investing.

Worry makes your hair fall out and your stomach hurt.
Worry takes days off your life.
Worry makes you ugly cry.
In summary, worry does nothing pretty.


I think as a person with faith in a higher power, one of the greatest ministries I can provide is that of being okay. That when things look grim and I could choose to go with the idea that we're probably all sinking and drowning, I instead choose to remember that God is a good Father who wants the best for His kids. Now our ideas of "best" can be different, and our ideas of what I "need" can be too, but if I trusted Natalie and Jose to keep me alive all these years, I feel like the person who's keeping this whole thing in motion knows a thing or two.

It's not like this is the first time things have looked precarious.
And it's also not the first time He's come through.
I don't have to fake how I feel about a situation. I've been known to ugly cry with the best of them.
But I also think that in the middle of a tornado, I can also provide the ministry of being okay.
You're okay. I'm okay. We're all going to be okay.


**************

“What I’m trying to do here is get you to relax, not be so preoccupied with getting so you can respond to God’s giving.
People who don’t know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works.
Steep yourself in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.
Don’t be afraid of missing out. You’re my dearest friends! The Father wants to give you the very kingdom itself."
Lk 12:29 MSG

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Love! "Ministry of Being Okay" is so great.