Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tuesdays Are For Inspiration

bravery

Right now I only want to talk about Hunger Games, so you're lucky this post is still happening.
Or, more, that it isn't just Hunger Games quotes or pictures of the actors.
But one thing that has kept me awake after reading the series is the idea of bravery.

I talk a big game here on this blog, mostly because it's mine and no one talks to me while I write it. I can tell you guys highly romanticized notions about bravery and being daring. I can't act like I have it all in my back pocket. This is not the case. I realized this when I had a really big chance to be brave, to take a chance. I instead decided it might be nicer to live in a tent in the woods and read teen novels for the rest of my life. I sincerely thought through the possibility of this. I spent some time in Tent City in Nashville. I know what the possibilities are.

Today, with the help of some of my favorites, I really got to think through some opportunities to jump. I got to think through some of the things that really make me afraid. The bad and good news is I now have to be brave.

So this Tuesday, I hope you get the chance to be brave.
And then I hope you are.

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
-Henry Ford


Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
-James Baldwin


Failure is unimportant;
It takes courage to make a fool of yourself.
-Charlie Chaplin


So we're not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There's far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can't see now will last forever.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18 MSG


Time's running out, it's always running out on me,
And every road I've discovered disappears under my feet.
Some call it reckless, I call it breathing.
-"Accidental Light", Sleeping At Last


Only be strong and very courageous.
Joshua 1:7



He was never embarrassed about working hard, even if the results were failures. If someone as smart as Steve wasn't ashamed to admit trying, maybe I didn't have to be.
-Mona Simpson, from her eulogy for brother Steve Jobs


There's consequences for everything. Everything.
But your gut will tell you whether it's incredible enough to take the risk.
-Matt, The Time Closet

No comments: