Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Things I've Seen Recently

The holidays are a time for love and togetherness.
Also, for watching tons of movies- both the brand new and the things you didn't get a chance to see during the year.
Here are are my reviews from the things I've seen recently.

1. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
Rating - one million stars (out of 5)

borrowed from this article
I didn't care about seeing this but my mom insisted. I hadn't even seen Mission Impossible 2 and 3. Now I regret not seeing it in IMAX when Justin Wylie asked. It has ridiculous actions and stunts- Tom Cruise dangling from the tallest building in the world (found in Dubai) almost made me throw up in the regular theater. In IMAX? Barf-fest (in a good way). Even more than that, it was genuinely funny, which I owe mostly to Simon Pegg. Moral of the story. See it. Forget all the things that make you not want to go, and just go. I promise.


2. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
Rating - 4 out of 5 stars

borrowed from here
Sherlock Holmes is back to his usual How lucky is it that Robert Downey Jr. still has a full head of hair after all the drugs he's done?! I'd still date him. I was sad Rachel McAdams wasn't in more of the movie and some of the storyline was just okay... but I could watch some of these action scenes over and over. And where can I get some urban camouflage, amen? Also, two super solid soundtracks now. I loved this movie. Way to go Sherlock Holmes team!

3. One Day
Rating - 2 out 5 stars

borrowed from here
Well, I am a BIG fan of Focus Features. And then I started thinking... "don't most of these movies feature all-British casts?" This made me nervous when one of two stars was ANNE HATHAWAY. She is not British. Neither is she very convincing as a pretend Brit. (I still do like you, Anne. I promise.) I couldn't take it. I also didn't understand how the movie was going to end. I feel like neither did the people who made it. They just kind of said, "...and...we'll end here, I guess!" This is a good movie to put on if you have to finally scrapbook all your high school pictures and you need what feels like 6 hours to only kind of pay attention. (Also, quick positive note: I am glad to see Jim Sturgess again. He did a great job transforming over 20 years. And for being convincingly British, though it may help that he actually is.)


4. Tintin
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

borrowed from here
I've loved Tintin from the time I first saw a Tintin cartoon as a 5 year old. Mix in Peter Jackson, Steven Spielberg, Jamie Bell and Andy Serkis and I am in heaven. Also, even if you don't even know what a Tintin is, the graphics in this movie are ridiculous, especially if you watch it in 3D (which I did). So, maybe my 5 stars are biased. But if you like adventure, pirates, treasure, British people, or puppies, there's a good chance you'll like Tintin. Just do yourself a favor and go watch it.

No comments: