Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

Late Bloomer

Refusing to bloom
The other day I was looking at car stereos online (hello, 12th grade boy, right?) and I had one of those lightning bolt revelations.

I am a late bloomer.

From my 8th grade picture looked like I would end up ringing bells in a tower somewhere because I had no knowledge of putting on makeup, much less brushing my hair to how I still don't entirely know how a Blu-Ray and a DVD are different but my parents bought me a Blu-Ray player because they love theirs, I will always be a little behind the times.

I used to be so amazed that other girls knew how to curl their hair and put on liquid eyeliner. That they had moms that taught them to just drink water if they were hungry. I missed the boat on all three of those (and if I'm ever able to curl my hair, it'll only be because of countless youtube tutorials) and until recently I thought, "What the heck?! When do I get to catch up?"

But as God has been working on me recently, I'm realizing that the things that have always been my handicap are now some of my favorites:

-Look, I like fantasy movies. And by that I mean I could watch Harry Potter for the rest of my life and not be sad. I don't care about reality television or sports (which is technically reality television, now that I think about it). I don't care about Star Trek or even (gasp) Inception. All wonderful movies, believe me, but I know the end of Harry Potter and I would still watch it over and over again. Lord of the Rings, same deal. Nerdy, I know. I'm okay with it.

-I will always try to make you a gift before I buy you a gift. Why? Partly because I'm cheap. Partly because I like the process of making something. I like giving something that no one else will ever have a duplicate of. You will think, "Oh, really, you shouldn't have... this paper mache duck..." And I will be so happy to have spent 9 hours with my hands in glue and newspaper crafting you your very own feathered friend and covering it with glitter at some point. Yes. I still really like glitter.

-I have no way of listening to an iPod in my car
-I will probably be a middle-aged woman arguing against the obviously more efficient Kindle.
-I'm a little afraid of making a Groupon commitment
-I've used Spotify three times. I couldn't get the hang of Last FM and sometimes Pandora can be a little sassy with me. I'll just stick to getting my music from the radio, VH1 Jumpstart and my friends Justin Wylie and Grace Schofield. Why? Because I'm old.

So I'm a late bloomer. Maybe you are too. Maybe you're a functional human and know how the world works. You are my hero, for realsies. When it comes to being cutting edge and hip, I now know I will never be at the head of that pack. But that's okay, because I will hang out in the back with my chocolate frogs and messy hair and I will have a good time the whole way.

2 comments:

Karla said...

It's why I love you. And many other reasons.

Anonymous said...

I want to be your when I grow up.....love you and who you are now and who you are becoming.
Debo