Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tuesdays Are For Inspiration

"My personal tips are when you feel inspired, drop everything and work! Make inspiration a priority. This means that if you have a favorite band, a favorite magazine or a favorite blog, you make time for it, guilt free! Small breaks for inspiration are always worth it when followed by a good creative workday! Surround yourself with positive people in your life who love you and your work and make you feel really good about what you're doing. Avoid negative people during busy work times. Make friends with other artists you admire. This is a must! Friends in your industry will keep you inspired and challenged. Find a new obsession as often as you need to. Obsessions keep me so inspired. Find things that you can fancy that make your day and cause you to think a new direction."
-Elsie Larson, A Beautiful Mess


A new obsession?
You don't have to tell me twice.
Lately I've watched a LOT of movies.
Here are the ones that have absorbed me now or in the past.

-The Nightmare Before Christmas
-The Young Victoria
-Defiance
-Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
-The Brothers Bloom
-Peter Pan
-Pirates of the Caribbean 3
-Kingdom of Heaven
-The 13th Warrior
-Cirque du Freak
-Big Fish
-Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
-Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

This means I watch them every day.
I listen to movie score every day.
I've spent time online researching writers and characters and backstories.
You've probably read TAFI posts featuring quotes from these movies.
And it wasn't until today that I realized how dramatically a movie that I'm stuck on can affect my mood (try watching "Defiance" for two weeks straight and tell me if you don't feel compelled to hide out in the woods), but they've also brought some periods of new direction and inspiration. Mazel tov.

What are you obsessed with right now?

Nightmare Before Christmas
Defiance
The Brothers Bloom
Kingdom of Heaven
(These are just the tip of the iceberg for me.)

1 comment:

Mikeel said...

I've been obsessed with Adventure Time with Finn and Jake recently. check it out if you haven't already. :)

yey for cartoons! yey for adventure! haha :)