Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Gentleness

gentle.

I was going to write this whole long blog post.
It was pretty crazy. Be glad I deleted it.
It was an overly wordy way of me saying "folks, be gentle."
Be gentle when you're dealing with people who are pissing you off.
Be gentle when you are dealing with friends who know better.
Be gentle when you are dealing with people who don't.

In the ESV version of the Bible, there are 27 verses that use the word "gentle" in some form.
Gentleness is a fruit of the Spirit but, let me tell you, it's one I've had to labor over to get to grow.
And I think it's a fruit we don't always think of first.
Love. Joy. Patience. Even self control.
But gentleness?

I feel like it's at least once a day that God has to remind me to be gentle, that it's a package deal.
If I love and I have joy but I beat people up with my words or a mean face or the cold shoulder, it's all undone.


What do you wish? Shall I come to you with a rod, or with love in a spirit of gentleness?
1 Corinthians 4:21

1 comment:

lydia. said...

this is beautiful.

thank you.