Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Controlling the Reaction

I was at a last-minute roundtable session for people who work in a similar capacity.
We talked about the idea of worship curating and a new approach to looking at worship services. It was really far more excellent than I could've imagined.

Something big I took away from this (and you might think I'm crazy but, it was really pretty life-changing for me) was when we talked about the fact that
you can't control a person's reaction.

What does that mean?

When an art gallery curator sets up a display, they are taking work and setting it up for an audience. When that audience comes through, there's no way to make every person love the art. There is no way to force every person to understand the artist's perspective. You make the art. You put it out there.

I got that good art.

This has made all the difference to me when I'm dreaming up ideas, whether it be for our worship services, or for my writing projects for film. I have to be true to the vision in my gut and trying to anticipate and compensate for every conceivable reaction to those dreams will kill you.
There's a lot more freedom in creating when you are okay with the fact that everyone might not get it.

So if you haven't written because you don't think everyone will like your writing, let me go ahead and let you know that everyone will NOT like your writing. I promise you. Does that mean you shouldn't do it? And have you considered the people who might LOVE your writing?

Just a thought.

(Thanks Mark Pierson).

4 comments:

Adam Dye said...

I did NOT like this post.

Adam Dye said...

Oh, crap, I was just kidding. I can't lie for more than three seconds.

Mikeel said...

love love love this post! :)

Karla said...

I DID like it.

You can't control Adam Dye.