Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Waiting.

Yesterday I was talking with a friend about being patient and waiting.
She's being a lot more graceful about it than I would be. The waiting.
And right now she is being faithful in waiting.
She is one of the bravest and best humans I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Sometimes you gotta crap or get off the pot.

However, it brought up another thought.
I don't know if it's my generation or just the place where I live or just the people I know, but sometimes I think we're in a constant state of waiting. Always waiting because the really good thing, the "best" that God has been promising is probably right around the corner.
And so what happens is we are never fully committed: to this job, to these friends, to the things that are good right in front of us.

There was a parable of ten virgins. Their groom told him he was coming back, that they needed to stay ready because it could be anytime, day or night. The story culminates when he actually comes back. 5 were ready, 5 were not. Those girls were patiently waiting, always one eye on the horizon, for who knows how long, but then the moment came, the groom arrived, and they went. The 5 who were left came back to find the others gone. Because eventually the waiting ends.

Moral of this story: If there is a season of waiting, there will be a season of motion. It's okay to ask "Is this it? Is this where I'm supposed to jump?" Sometimes we live like waiting is all there will ever be. Learning to wait is a gift I wish I'd already developed. There's a lot to learn and do in the waiting, but don't forget that one day it'll actually be time to go and do. It might be now.

1 comment:

gschof said...

waiting for my season of motion. :o)

you are the very best.