Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tuesdays Are For Inspiration

If our lives are not about us, then it matters much less to us whether we are honored or praised or criticized or  rejected.
-Donald Miller

I've always thought I needed thicker skin.
I can let things nag and nag to the point that I'm fighting off a panic attack just at the thought of going home for a wedding, or having to meet with a church member who yelled at me once.

The people you love will always give you sweet advice.
"It's okay. Don't let that ruin your day."
"No one even remembers that."
"Walk in there like it doesn't matter."
And sometimes I'm a good actress, but that doesn't change the unnecessary amount of adrenaline I've unleashed.

The flip side is reverse.
To live for the at-reply or the blog comments or the boy who will pick you out of the sea of beautiful roommates. It kills you a little bit inside. Actually, it kills you a lot inside if we're being honest.

I'm not the biggest Donald Miller fan at all, but this reminded me that maybe what I need is not thicker skin. Maybe it's to daily remember that what happens from the moment we open our eyes to the moment we close them has less to do with us than we realize or hope sometimes.

No comments: