Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Only Be Strong & Very Courageous

 "Only be strong and very courageous."
Straight out of the mouth of God.
He's talking to Joshua and Moses is dead.
Joshua just inherited a grumpy, whiny group of former slaves who have been in the desert WAY longer than they needed to be. They're about to start busting in on some people. And God's advice? Only be strong and very courageous.

source

God tells him to be strong and courageous because things were going to get crazy.
God was going to ask him to do things that seemed ridiculous, that seemed impossible.
And as difficult as the tasks were, surviving the people was going to be just as tricky.
Getting up in the morning and telling the Israelites that, "guess what? Tomorrow? We're gonna do some more walking!" Yikes.

To top it all off, he'd seen Moses fail and now it was his job.
Man, how freaking intimidating.
Moses, the guy God had personally gone and dug out of the desert.
Even he wasn't allowed in.

And God's only advice?
Not "Don't call a meeting before 9. The Israelites are NOT morning people."
Not "Here's a magic stick that shoots bullets."
Not "Here's the end of the story. Don't worry."
Only be strong and very courageous.


Once in a blue moon, I'll have a serious business, stop-the-car panic attack.
It's bad news. Ask Arley Worley.
Quite frequently, however, I'll get that feeling in my chest that rises up.
It squeezes my heart and makes my stomach sink.
I can feel my lungs forget how to inhale.
It happens when my boss has to remind me of something I should've already done.
[Only be strong and very courageous.]
It happens when my bank account isn't what I thought.
[Only be strong and very courageous.]
It happens when I feel like someone thinks I'm an idiot or incapable.
[Only be strong and very courageous.]
I begin the process of freaking out.


And then I pull the plug on the whole operation.
I can't let that fear and that doubt and those circumstances win.
I have to be strong and very courageous now.
I can't even turn as slight as to face my right or left hand.
Every day requires that much focus, that much strength, that much courage.

source

Be strong and courageous, for you shall cause this people to inherit the land that I swore to their fathers to give them. Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to do according to all the law that Moses my servant commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success wherever you go. -Joshua 1:6-7

2 comments:

gschof said...

no joke... before my seminars 2 weeks ago, i literally read that story to a few girls and talked to them about being strong and courageous.

and then i forgot and stopped being those things.

so, thank you again for reminding me. you're the best.

MeLissa said...

Grace-face.
It's easy to forget. Lord knows.
I mean, you read how often I START to have panic attacks.

The nice thing is this is an easy, short phrase I can remember...

"only be strong and very courageous"