Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Bad Things & Good People

We watched this video a while ago in one of our Sunday morning services.
It came from Newspring Church's sermon series on why bad things happen to good people.
It's the story of Zac and Mandy Smith from Anderson, SC, as Zac fought with cancer and struggled to make sense of it all.

Fast forward to 30:07 to hear their pastor, Perry Noble, introduce Zac and his story.
Mandy's immediately follows. Hang in there for all of it.



I was reminded of this video recently. It reminded me that loss is real, that time is short, and that God is God and God is good.

So why do bad things happen to good people?
I don't have a complete answer. But there's this:
"The Bible says in Matthew 7:11 that God gives good things to those who ask. God cannot give me a bad gift and it is through that lens that I can say that cancer is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I am a better husband and a better dad. A better boss and a better employee. A better friend & a better follower of Jesus and through cancer, God has shown me some amazing things about Himself. Those are indeed great gifts. I still have questions about cancer- why it went away and why it came back. I do not understand but I know that God is in charge. If God chooses to heal me, God is God and God is good. If God chooses not to heal me and let me die, God is still God and God is still good. To God be the glory."- Zac Smith

1 comment:

gschof said...

i knew better than to watch that during work.

but i did it anyway.

not.functioning.too.many.tears.