Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Make Disciples


There's something that's growing in my heart in the moment.
It's a desire to begin the process of discipleship with younger Christians.
It's a desire to change just this little corner of the earth by being faithful to growth and community.

Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." -Matthew 28:16-20


That's the Great Commission.
We've read it. We know it.
But read it again. Read it out loud.
Jesus was living his life with these people.
He was eating with them. He was listening to their jokes, teaching them the Word.
He was bathing in rivers with them. He knew what made them tick because they were friends and they lived their lives together.
And here he is calling us to follow his example.

I've seen a couple of good examples of biblical discipleship but not as many as I'd hoped.
But I want to do it.
I want to live my life with people for reals.
I want to invest in new believers.
I think that's the way I'm going to change the world.

Why isn't it happening already?
I think discipleship isn't happening for a lot of reasons right now.
One of those reasons is people my age are afraid of commitment.
Don't get too invested. You gotta be ready to run. You can't have people relying on you.
But you know what happens? It prevents you from digging in. It prevents you from opening up.

If we're going to change how things happen on a global scale, we have to be faithful on the small scale. The cost of making disciples will be your time, will be your comfort, will be your reality. You'll have to demand more out of yourself by making yourself be transparent and actively seeking opportunities to connect with the people in your community and those you're discipling. You'll have to demand more out of the relationship you're in by always committing to be 100% honest with one another. But you have to. You're called to.

The relationships you're involved in should be better because of the level of authenticity at which you operate. And your love for one another is something that won't be able to be ignored, because people aren't used to seeing real, honest relationships.


Love one another.

2 comments:

gschof said...

it's things like this that make me know for sure. without a doubt. that God speaks through you, melissa gavarrette.

if only you knew just how much this has blessed my heart.

because sometimes you just need affirmation that you're not crazy.

good words. so, so good.

KWorley said...

You already live like this. Do you not see that?

Oh I know there is always room for more commitment and authenticity.

I just want to affirm your beautifulness.