Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Kind of Vegan


I feel like a vegan, but not with food.
I've decided that if love...
...has to happen over text message
...is exclusively limited to Facebook chat
...has to happen like a game of telephone
...then I don't want to be in love.

If it doesn't make me a better person...
If it only makes me sad...
If prevents me from moving forward...
...then I don't want to be in love.

If I have to lie...
If I have to cheat...
If I have to steal from someone else...
...then I don't want to be in love.

If I have to be someone's back up plan...
If I have to be just one option of many...
If I have to convince someone to like me...
...then I don't want to be in love.


Recently, I've been pretty disappointed by the examples of love and dating and pursuit and relationships that I've seen. If that's what love looks like, then I'm not interested. No thanks.
I choose death.

5 comments:

Neil Hoppe said...

While I admire your refusal settle, this post makes me sad.

Also, if you're disappointed in the examples you've seen, you're looking in the wrong places. Because there are good ones all around you.

MeLissa said...

To be honest, I was a little sad when I wrote it. But you're right. There are good examples of love and relationship and marriage. Just not a lot of good examples of anything that goes on before that point.

Neil Hoppe said...

Well...none of us started married. You just have to dig for the stories. Shannon and I recently got my parents to tell us their story. It was awesome.

KWorley said...

Well goodness. What you have described is "middle school dating". And who wants that, except middle schoolers?

There is a lot of room between that and death. There is friendship, which is highly underrated and often turns into love. There is the incredible community you belong to.

You are greatly loved. And I know what kind of love you're writing about, but why be a vegan when God has handed you a full plate of goodness?

MeLissa said...

"...why be a vegan when God has handed you a full plate of goodness?"

This might be my most favorite part of this comment, Karla. And everything you've said is true. I think I was saddened by the amount of middle school dating I was seeing, but Neil has encouraged me to find the good stories. That's something I definitely want to do. And you're right, there's a lot of room between middle school and death. It's time to see what that looks like.