Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Unlimited - Part II

source

So it's been a little longer since I wrote about a desire to be unlimited than I expected. I naively thought I could learn a life lesson in a couple of days (a week at the most) and write about it. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am.
But I'm still learning.

I've recently begun to learn to be gentle.
I've had to make a lot of apologies.
I've had to extend grace where I normally wouldn't.
I've cried on the phone.
I've cried thinking about people not having anything to open on Christmas morning.
I've cried sitting in a restaurant with my childhood friends for the first time in a long time.
Basically, I did a lot of crying.

Just kidding. (Not really.)

A few things I've learned:
1. It's all tied together- courage, risk, gentleness.
How so?
To have the courage to get involved in a community...
To take the risk of sharing your life...
It requires a measure of gentleness. And love, for that matter. And joy. Peace. Patience. Kindness. Goodness. Faithfulness. Self-control.

Unlimited. Together we're unlimited.
-"Defying Gravity", Wicked


2. It hasn't been without it's heartaches. Again, there's a measure of risk. You love people and they might not love you back as much. They might not care if you're having a bad day or that you want to tell them about the things that keep you awake at night. But this whole process is not for them. It's for the times when you're sitting at a table in Fido and this girl is pouring her heart out because she read your blog once and feels like you might understand. That's what it's for.


So I'm still not good at it.
Some days and with some people, it requires every ounce of love, joy, peace and patience to treat people the way I should. But I'm excited, because I'm getting there, I'm making progress. I've been spending time with friends I don't see enough and I've been challenging myself to speak up and to speak honestly instead of about how much I want to be just like Gloria from Modern Family. You'd think it'd be easy. But its tough for me. And I really want to be just like Gloria.

Disclaimer- you will more than likely look dumb at some point or another if you choose to live your life with abandon in an effort to connect with people and love them better. You're going to stick out because that kind of love is not what the world is used to seeing. But, good news. Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control? Against such things there is no law. (Gal 5:22-23)

Let us live like we were children.
Make us feel like we're still living
In a world I know is burning to the ground.
-Needtobreathe

4 comments:

gschof said...

this is why you have to keep writing.

and gathering inspiration.

every day.

i love the mess outta you.

Kirby said...

This is exactly what I needed to read today. I think you're incredible. :-)

Molly said...

You know, I thought the other day when we were talking, and you told me I needed to be more "gentle" with a certain someone, that that was a peculiar word.. seeing as how I like to believe I'm the most gentle person on the planet. When you tied it all in to risk and courage, your choice word for the advice you gave made a lot more sense.

Am I there yet? No. not so much.
Do I have something to think and pray about? Very much so.

Love you MeLissa and I'm grateful for your transparency and grateful for your love and friendship!

MeLissa said...

You guys are good for me. Seriously.