Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Inspiration Week: Day 4


Do something.
Words are a big source of inspiration for me. I was always trying to remember the good things I'd heard so I decided to write them down in once place. I got an inspiration book and now I use them to write a blog post called Tuesdays Are For Inspiration every week. Novel, I know.

There's a roving restaurant called the Grilled Cheeserie in Nashville. It's a gourmet grilled cheese truck that tweets it's location and serves way yummy versions of a classic meal. In it's most basic form, it's a food truck. But it's a great idea and some young entrepreneurs are doing something unique and loving it. They just did it. The key is in the doing.

So how do you accomplish something? You begin the process.

  • Create a habit. Keep a notepad in your bag if you want to write down good quotes. Keep a sketchpad around if you want to keep track of the brilliant doodles you come up with all day.

  • Commit to a schedule. I'm talking more than once a month. When you miss a monthly deadline, that means you're seeking inspiration and doing something you love less than 12 times a year. That's lame.

  • Decide why it matters. Why do you want to paint? Why do you want to play Ultimate Frisbee? Why do anything at all? Starting something just because others are won't necessarily sustain you when your project requires hard work. A reason to work is a good motivator to stick it out.

  • No distractions. I've recently been thinking of and keeping track of how distracted I get. I can take way longer to write one blog post because I'm watch TV or checking Facebook. I don't know that anything could be more tragic than knowing I never finished the movie I've been writing because I was looking at photo albums of kids I haven't seen since high school.

Activity:
Create a schedule for your week.
Pinpoint wastes of time and limit them.
Dedicate [10 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour, an evening] to yourself.
Decide what you’re doing in that time. Do it.

3 comments:

gschof said...

yes, yes, yes.

get rid of the distractions. life is more productive without those things.

so, so good. keep helping us. we need it.

(we also need grilled cheese)

Elizabeth said...

I love this. Here's why:
1. the whole why-it-matters thing: totally what I've been thinking through lately.
2. Also thinking through the scheduling thing. The once-a-month line: convicting, in the best way.
3. "I don't know that anything could be more tragic than knowing I never finished the movie I've been writing because I was looking at photo albums of kids I haven't seen since high school." = true. funny. love it.

MeLissa said...

1. Grace. Limiting distractions? Let me just say you and Erin have been by catalysts in that happening. And grilled cheese sandwiches ar DEFINITELY something you need. One is mad with nutella, marshmallows, coconut and bananas... Heaven.

2. Elizabeth. If you are getting distracted, you definitely need to limit it becaus it's been such an awesome experience to read your stuff. If it means you'll write more, I'm a fan!