Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

God Save The Queen

Union Jack=serious business
I am a Harry Potter addict.
I could watch Love Actually over and over again.
It's partially because the stories are good.
It's also because British culture is so entertaining to me.
There are a few things I'd like to start integrating.

British people say things like

Happy Christmas!

and my dear.

Doesn't that sound wonderful?
I'd like to say those things too. Also,

"darling"
"clever"
"you've gone mental"
"farewell"
"Mary Poppins!"

They also say "adVERtisement" instead of "adverTISEment".
So much classier.
Try it. Say it out loud. It's okay if you're in public.
They'll excuse you because you're British.


London town

British people know about old things.
When they get something passed down from their parents, it probably was in a castle at some point.
When I get something passed down from my parents, it was probably in an Ikea at some point.

I want to begin decorating my home exclusively with persian rugs and dark hardwood.
Leather chairs and brandy bottles.
Suits of armor and things with lions on them.

Cruelty, apparently, is dressing a dolphin up as a private school student.

England is home to
The Beatles
Mumford and sons
Peter Pan
Hobbits
and, most importantly, the Spice Girls.

Even Johnny Depp wants to be British.
Anything that's good enough for Johnny is good enough for me.

London turned into a cartoon.

British people unashamedly name their children highly distinguished names.
Percy
Broomhilda
Theobald
Rupert
Hermione
Beatrix
Angus
Georgina
Chris Martin

Red is England's favorite color. 

British people live in flats.
They love Princess Diana and they use the F word like it's whatev.
They drive on the left side of the road.
They're not afraid to stand out. They make everything red.
Including their princes.
They have cake with everything.
And that's good enough for me.

4 comments:

arleyworley said...

Weeeeee! I love this!

Elizabeth said...

So, you don't know me (I know, creepy way to start this...keep reading), but I worked camp for several years and know Lydia and am friends with a bunch of the CK office people. I read your blog because I found it once on an internet rabbit trail, enjoyed it, and I clicked follow.

Anyway, I love this post. I was actually going to write an England post on my blog this week and this was a perfect little teaser/inspiration. So, thanks!

Sorry if this is still weird. I'm trying to be less of a lurker and actually introduce myself.

MeLissa said...

Elizabeth! Nice to meet you, then!

And I can't wait to read your London blog. I'm pretty obsessed thanks to Harry Potter. If that's not a nerdy confession, I don't know what is.

Send me your link and I look forward to meeting you in real life!

Elizabeth said...

Here's the link: http://bit.ly/feOHJb
Looking forward to meeting you, too!