Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Tuesdays Are For Inspiration

I'm still reading David Platt's Radical.
Here are some thing I read tonight that really got the ol' mind pastries cooking:


Disciple making involves inviting people into a larger community of faith where they will see the life of Christ in action and experience the love of Christ in person.

It breaks my heart more than anything to see babies in need.

Whereas disinfecting Christians involves isolating them and teaching them to be good, discipling Christians involves propelling Christians into the world to risk their lives for the sake of others.

source

A wealthier man in our faith family came to my office after we had been studying the story of the rich young man. He sat down, looked at me, and said point-blank, "I think you're crazy for saying some of the things you are saying." Then he paused, and I wasn't sure what direction this conversation was going to go. He continued, "But I think you're right. And so now I think I'm crazy for thinking some of the things I'm thinking."

For the next few minutes, he described how he was selling his large house and had decided to give away many of his other possessions. He talked about the needs he wanted to invest his resources in for the glory of Christ. Then he looked at me through tears in his eyes and said, "I wonder at some points if I'm being irresponsible or unwise. But then I realize there is never going to come a day when I stand before God and he looks at me and says, 'I wish you would have kept more for yourself.' I'm confident that God will take care of me."


I want to talk to you guys about this.
What do you think?
What does this mean for your life/our lives?

1 comment:

Molly said...

I've started leaving a comment on this blog post a few times since you put it up... It's hard to find the words though, ya know? Ashamedly, I know that I spend far too many days neither out in the trenches "risking my life for others," nor welcoming others into my community, with discipleship in mind. That being said, if someone like me, who is typically relational and overhwhelmingly blessed by genuine friendships, hasn't even surrendered the area of relationships and loving and discipling others over to the Bigger Picture, how then must I be failing at giving over my physical resources to live simply so that others may live?? Though I've never truly experienced it for myself, I've seen real poverty, watched people struggling, orphaned, and hungry... I often wonder if what I've seen didn't shock me out of the apathetic mindset of the American dream, what on earth possibly could?

To see the world through His eyes...
Lord, break my heart for what breaks Yours!