Pages

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Real Love Story

I live in a house filled with girls so, on days like Sunday when we were snowed in, forced to be still and watch two movies in a row, it wasn't unusual for those movies to be love stories. The recent poison: Letters To Juliet and, surprisingly, Ramona and Beezus. They both turned out to have fun love stories.

source
I was well into high school before my dad ever told me the real story of how he met my mom. Up until that point, he said he was walking down the road one day when he heard beautiful voice singing. He followed the voice through the woods to the river where he found my mom washing clothes on the rocks. Sounds good to me.

And the source of your vivid imagination is finally explained.

It wasn't until I was older that my dad told me the real story, that he prayed for years and years that God would send the woman for him to his door. He was in his dorm room when a girl came and knocked on his door, needing a translation for a piece of music. My mom. Sounds even better to me.

Maybe that's why I've always thought that love was a little bit magic.
Maybe that's why I've always thought that God had a special say in two people being together.



For as much of a crazy, hurricane, force-of-nature as I can be sometimes, I'm always a big fan of good love stories. I've gotten more and more excited to experience my own one day- the day when some kid (hopefully not wearing tights) is climbing up the balcony to tell me when he thinks. But better yet, I'm excited about the day when someone knocks on my door and lets me know what's up, ya heard?

source
In Letters to Juliet, women leave letters to Juliet in her home of Verona. Four women who call themselves the secretaries of Juliet write responses. Sofie, the main character, finds a 50 year old letter hidden in the wall and that's where this adventure begins. This is the letter she wrote to Claire, a woman who, half a century prior, walked away from the love of her life. Swoon.

'What' and ‘if’. Two words as nonthreatening as words come.
But put them together 
side-by-side and they have the power to
haunt you for the rest of your life: ‘What if?'..."

I don't know how your story ended.
But I 
know that if what you felt then was love
 - true love - 
then it's never too late.
If it was true then, why wouldn't it be true now?
You need only the courage to follow your heart...

I don't know what a love like that feels like...
a love to leave loved ones for,
a love to cross oceans for,
but I'd like to believe 
if I ever felt it,
I'd have the courage to 
seize it.
I hope you had the courage to 
seize it, Claire.
And if you didn't, I hope 
one day that you will.
-Juliet

Letters left for Juliet in Verona, Italy

1 comment:

gschof said...

i went to that wall. it's magical. it's full of love stories. from all over the world, in tons of different languages. and couples go there just to leave their stories, both with happy endings & love lost. it's magical because it makes you realize the transcending power of love.

magic.