Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

A Reflection On A Quarter Century of Living



As of today, I'll have completed 24 years of living on this earth, some more successful than others.
Here are some things I've learned:

  1. To talk. In a close second behind that...

  2. Potty training was a pretty significant milestone.

  3. You can eat too many Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

  4. My parents are humans.

  5. My teachers were humans too. Not robots who lived at school.

  6. High fives look dumb and are overused.

  7. The older you get, the less macaroni and cheese you can eat without slowing down your entire digestive tract.

  8. Being great at anything will take hard work. The good news is most people aren't interested in hard work, so there's lots of room to make it to the top.

  9. I've never been disappointed by believing the things I read in the Bible.

  10. Community is real. It is the support I rely on. It is the place I remember that my life is not all about me. Community demands your utmost vulnerability in exchange for someone else's. If you want to be a part of someone else's life, you have to let them be a part of yours but it's totally worth it.

  11. Love is a choice. Everyday.

  12. You can waste a lot of time being worried or being eaten up by regret. It doesn't help anything. And as Mike Glenn once said, fear is the result of believing every lie.

  13. Sometimes cuss words are funny.

  14. Just because no one else wants to get in on your big idea, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. People these days? They're doing things that haven't been done before. They are making things that don't exist already, so don't expect everyone to fully grasp what you're imagining. Do it anyway. Make it happen. Sell cupcakes out of a van. Be a full time ventriloquist. Make a calendar filled with your original photos of butterflies. Your destiny doesn't become null and void because your friend Francis moves to Louisville.

  15. People who believe in you and encourage you deserve all the gold in the whole world. They are like fuel to the fire. Practice saying 'thank you' instead of tearing down their good words as soon as they come out of their mouths.

  16. I've learned to place higher value on traits like a good sense of humor or being a good storyteller. The world gives you plenty of reasons to cry. I enjoy a person who can make all things bright and beautiful.

  17. Your best friend is the one who knows what you really mean even when you're saying the opposite.

  18. Don't forget to be grateful. I try to regularly look around and appreciate where I am. I live in Nashville! I know my way around. There's no reason I should, but I do. That's amazing. I live here in this amazing city filled with dreamers. I live with two of the most amazing girls on the planet. Those kinds of things don't happen everyday, so don't forget to be grateful.

  19. Don't be afraid to try the weird things on the menu.

  20. Don't worry about looking stupid. If there's one thing I learned from working in a mall, it's that people will say and do a lot dumber things than you can imagine in public. With that as a disclaimer, give yourself the freedom to ask questions or put yourself out there because 1. you don't know what greatness it might lead to and 2. worst case scenario, it's probably still not the dumbest thing a person has done today.

  21. Sometimes peer pressure is a good thing. Like, when you're considering buying Heelies and your friends all vote against it. When you've come back to your sense, you'll thank them.

  22. Take the pressure off yourself. It's okay to like Justin Beiber instead of exclusively listening to no-name bands from Walla Walla, Washington. Really, it's okay to like what you like- watching Young Riders on Netflix. Wearing white after Labor Day. Playing Mafia Wars. Heelies are still not okay, though.

  23. Believe that miracles happen. I've seen people get beds after crying over not having a place to sleep. I've seen people open schools after being given a free building. I've seen checks come in the mail for exact dollar amounts to fill a need. I've had angels safely lead me off a dark mountain when I was lost. Letting yourself believe that your prayers can be answered is the first step to seeing it.

  24. "Let us acknowledge the LORD; let us press on to acknowledge him.
    As surely as the sun rises, he will appear; 
    he will come to us like the winter rains,
    like the spring rains that water the earth."
    Hosea 6:3

3 comments:

gschof said...

you will always have words to write, smart girl. and they will always be full of amazing and full of truth. this is a fabulous start to year 25.

Offbrand said...

you have learned more in 24 than I have in 27....also...I own heelies

KWorley said...

Thank you!

1. I wear white all year.
2. Hosea 6:3 is one of my top 5 favs.
3. For being your brave, beautiful self. At 24 (or even the ripe old age of 25) that is quite an achievement. Most of don't even know who we are at that age yet, much less have the confidence and joy to live it out.

Happy Birthday, sweet girl. October is for being thankful for YOU!