Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Paralyzed Man

There's this story in Mark about this paralyzed guy and his four friends.
Quick recap: Jesus is in this packed out house preaching and these guys bring their paralyzed friend. When they realize it's going to be impossible to get through the crowd, the guys make a hole in the roof and lower their friend down in front of Jesus. He not only forgives his sins, but also commands him to get up and walk. The man does.



I can only imagine what it would be like if I'd been the paralyzed man...
I would've cussed the whole way.
...My friends are dragging me around Brentwood, TN on a mat. Lovely.
...Who knows the last time I've done anything with my hair.
...Crowded house in the 'burbs? Good. We can just go home then. No need to parade my paralyzed self in front of a ton of people, including Jesus.
...Oh wait. My friends are now going to destroy private property and lower me through the roof? Have you seen the houses in Brentwood? This is out of control.
...More cussing.
...Who's idea is this?! This isn't the sort of attention I've been looking for. Can we please go home?


More often than not, there is a need to get someone from Point A to Point B and the means of doing so is their community. Let me encourage you to be astute and aware of the people in your life. Every now and then, they'll need you to carry them to the top of someone's house and bust in the roof to get them what they need. They might even fight you the whole way there. But it's worth it. Why?

Because love covers a multitude of sins (1 Peter 4:8).
Yes.

1 comment:

gschof said...

you are so good for my soul.