Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Kind of Girl I Am

Lately it feels like the big question I keep coming back to is "what kind of life do I want to live?"
That's kind of a big deal.

Am I going to own my own business?
Am I going to be a stay-at-home mom and raise my kids with all the love and attention humanly possible?
Am I going to be a writer and actress and attempt to impact the dark recesses of the American entertainment industry?
Am I going to live in a cave alone and safely tucked away from the world?
Am I going to move to Bali and live life with the hundreds of thousands of people who've never heard the Gospel?

For me it's a constant struggle of what my life will look like.
What kind of girl am I?


Thursday I was in Atlanta for the Atlanta Youth Leader Summit and I'm listening to these youth ministers talk about doing life right where they are, getting in there and battling for the lives of these students. Youth ministry is a transient business. It's an extremely important job with very little supervision and a high turnover rate. But here are guys, some of which who have been serving longer than I've been alive, who are teaching and learning from one another to be more effective. They are living out the Gospel every day. They are loving kids where they are. They are discipling students. They are being discipled under their pastors. They're just living.

So what does this mean for me? No Bali? No American entertainment industry? Do I need to just be a teacher and live my life and love people there?

Then my dear friend Allison posted this:



To live a life that seems crazy outside of the context of the Bible. Sign me up.

2 comments:

Allison Drew said...

I know. And amen.

gschof said...

you know what kind of girl you are? you're the kind of girl who does things normal girls only dream of. you make bravery look easy. you make people think their lives are boring. you work hard so you can play hard, and you have people who love to just get a chance to play with you. you're the kind of girl who gets kicked and then jumps up already punching.

you're the kind of girl who looks in the face of adversity and says 'i've got too much to do to deal with the likes of you.'

you are the kind of girl who will choose to live the crazy life the Bible says we can live. and you'll do it because you choose hard over lazy.

i love the mess outta you.