Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

To Consecrate


"Groan within yourself for higher degrees of consecration, and your Lord will grant them to you, for He is able to do exceeding abundantly above what we ask or even think." 
-Charles Spurgeon

Consecrate: tr.v. con·se·crat·ed, con·se·crat·ing, con·se·crates

1. To declare or set apart as sacred: consecrate a church.
2. Christianity
a. To produce the ritual transformation of (the elements of the Eucharist) into the body and blood of Jesus.
b. To sanctify (bread and wine) for use in Communion.
c. To initiate (a priest) into the order of bishops.
3. To dedicate solemnly to a service or goal. See Synonyms at devote.
4. To make venerable; hallow: a tradition consecrated by time.
(don't believe me? Read this.)


Mitch Miller sent that Spurgeon quote to me last week.
And since then, I've tried to make that my prayer- consecration.
To be consecrated.
To be set apart as sacred.
To be more like Him.
To be less like this.
To chase after things that matter.
To be an image of Christ people can see.
To love well.
To live well.
To trust the Lord with my big prayers.

It's scary to pray things like that.
You never know just how much your life will change.
You never realize just how wide the gap is.
It can't be any worse than this past July, so let's do this.






(And, God, since I have your attention and we're on the subject, you know that one thing? I'd like to give it a try. I think it could be so wonderful. But I'll need Your help the whole time because You know how new I am at living like a human being. We'll need bravery, the kind You provide. But You've already promised life abundant, so I'm not worried. I think I'm ready, so amaze me. You're good in a way that exceeds words. Amen.)

2 comments:

NiTasha said...

and how the heck do you know me? it's like i think something and you blog it. hahaha. i can tell that we are gonna be friends. :)

MeLissa said...

Oh, I thoroughly believe we'll be friends. One brain thinks it, the other one writes it? That's love.