Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

In Progress

 (click for sources, dawg)

I've wanted to tell all of you about the craziness that has been my life recently.

But it's not even close to done yet.

Here's what I do know:
1. I'm a work in progress. When I began praying over a year ago for the month of June, I knew everything was going to change. I had ideas as to what that meant and I was so excited. I should've expected that it would be nothing and everything that I thought it would be. This has been the most ridiculous, whirlwind time of my life and I'm doing the best I can not to let baggage and hesitation get in the way of greatness. I'm praying about ways to create community for the ministers that I work with, and specifically for the action sports performers that I work with. They are the place I've found myself being called to more and more. I'm excited to see what God is doing with them and I'd hate to be my own stumbling block in loving them.


2. I'm grateful for the support of such solid folks all over the place- Portland, OR to Lake City, FL to Alexandria, LA to the East side of Nashville to the bedroom across the hall from me.

The hero is the community, the living together. -S. Brent Plate

Community is something I've talked about wanting for a long time. I wanted a place where I could be fully invested, where I could be poured into. I thought that was what I had and then my community asked me difficult questions and I couldn't answer them. Moreso, I didn't want to answer them because it meant addressing things I'd put away. Neil said "This is what community is". He's right and through that, I've gotten to have a lot of good conversations with my community across the country knowing that everyone is going through a similar craziness.


3. I'd say Nashville was a little crazy right now, but it's become obvious to me that things are changing for a lot of people. Something is happening. The other night I heard this song for the first time at Belmont University during M Fuge worship led by the Christian Baxter Band. It was a good reminder.

The atmosphere is changing
Oh can You hear
The people rising up
In the hope of Your freedom
Our former ways are breaking
We seek Your face
God let Your kingdom come
In our praises be lifted up

We are living to make
Your Name high Jesus
You gave what the world couldn't offer us
Say what they want
We are free

"Your Name High" - Hillsong United


4.
Love is the only shocking act left on the planet.
-Reed Bennet "Valentine's Day"

I believe this. Even though it's just a line of dialogue written by someone in Hollywood for Ashton Kutcher to say as he pretended to be a loveable florist, I know there's truth to it. I had no idea how hard it would be to love people consistently, even when I didn't want to, even when they didn't deserve it, even when I didn't deserve it. But it has this amazing way of covering over a multitude of sins, of making things right, of undoing permanent damage, so why not, right?

2 comments:

gschof said...

everything is changing and things are still the same.

and we're all crazy and we all need the tough questions asked to us.

i'm glad we are all willing to ask and to answer.

you are spectacular.

Ashton Kutcher said...

Everything I say has truth to it.