Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Hero.



Yesterday I listened to this song at least a dozen times.
It's because I've recently had much occasion to be intimidated.
Can I write well enough?
Do I do my job well enough?
Am I funny enough?
Am I pretty enough?
Am I smart enough?
Am I enough?
It's so weird being human.
I needed to be reminded that I was fearfully and wonderfully made, that there is a plan for me and that it's in no way an accident. I can quickly forget that there's really only one opinion of me that matters, only One to seek approval from.

Heavenly Father
You always amaze me
Let your kingdom come
In my world and in my life
You give me the food I need
To live through the day

I'm okay with telling you this because I've also had enough occasion to realize that figuring out who you are in the context of your surroundings is a battle most people face on a daily basis.
That breaks my heart.
I look out the window
The birds are composing
Not a note is out of tune
Or out of place



On the list of people I want to be more like:

(click for sources, dawg)
 
I love Jack White.
Jack White doesn't have to decide who he is. He's just this weirdo who does whatever he wants and has been lucky (and smart) enough to have that translate on a grander scale.
He's an artist. He's also a business man. He works hard.

And I don't know Jack White personally so maybe he wakes up in the morning and battles his crippling self doubt before anyone has a chance to see him, but I'd like to think otherwise.
I've watched tons of interviews with Jack White and if you take a second to get past his Tim-Burton-movie-character appearance, you get blasted with solid insight into making a living out of a dream. I love that he's a thinker. I love that he doesn't seem to need anyone's approval, and not in that obnoxious way, but in the way of a true adventurer.

Erin saw him play with Conan O'Brien the other day and the word she used to describe him was "striking". His picture isn't at the front door of Hollister, but I'd love for people to refer to me as striking any day of the week, to be the kind of personality that makes people take notice without having to say a word.

 
He's brilliant. And he's weird.
I want to be just like him.
So why do I worry?
Why do I freak out?
God knows what I need
You know what I need
Your love is stong.
 

2 comments:

lydia. said...

dear meLissa. i love your blog. i am glad we are roomies!

gschof said...

i love, Love. L.O.V.E you. with my whole heart.