Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Learning About Love - Pt. I

(Click for source, dawg)

I used to think I'm pretty logical when it came to matters of the heart.
However, it has come to my attention as of late that this may not be the case.

"What do you mean by 'love'?"

Romantic kind of love?
Kiss-you-on-the-mouth kind of love?
Best friend kind of love?
Unconditional kind of love?

Yes. All of it.
I don't know that I'm as good at love as I thought.


Try this:
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
1 Cor 13:4-7

Now, any place you see the word "love" or "it", replace it with your name.


MeLissa is patient and kind; MeLissa does not envy or boast; MeLissa is not arrogant or rude. MeLissa does not insist on her own way; MeLissa is not irritable or resentful; does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. MeLissaMeLissa bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.


Man.
For as many times as I've done this exercise, I'm still convicted by how often these statements are untrue. Forget enduring all things or bearing all things. I can't even make it past "MeLissa is not irritable". That's embarrassing.

And as God has been doing a work in me these past couple of months in the area of love, I've seen it everywhere, am constantly confronted with it, have witnessed the good, the bad and the ugly.

So here we go, folks. My quest to find out what I've missed on the topic of love.
But I know that the attribute of love is so closely tied to God Himself.


"Love her as the Lord loves the Israelites..."- Hos 3:1

"...He will quiet you with His love..." - Zeph 3:17

"...neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God..." - Rom 8:39

"...But because of his great love for us..." - Eph 2:4



So maybe, in the end, it's not love that I'm trying to understand better.
Maybe it's God.
And by maybe, I mean, it most undoubtedly means that.

No comments: