Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Do not be afraid.

The most used commandment in the Bible, and it may be the one I struggle with most often, aside from "thou shalt not overindulge in Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, or sweets in general."


Genesis 15:

After this, the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision:
"Do not be afraid, Abram.
I am your shield, your very great reward.

Genesis 26:24

That night the LORD appeared to him and said, "I am the God of your father Abraham. Do not be afraid, for I am with you..."

Deuteronomy 31:8

The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.

Joshua 10: 25

Joshua said to them, "Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Be strong and courageous. This is what the LORD will do to all the enemies you are going to fight."

Job 39: 22

He laughs at fear, afraid of nothing;
he does not shy away from the sword.

Proverbs 3:24

when you lie down, you will not be afraid;
when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.

ISAIAH 12:2

"Surely God is my salvation;
I will trust and not be afraid.
The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song;
he has become my salvation."

Jeremiah 1:8
Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD.

Daniel 10:12

Then he continued, "Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them."

Joel 2:21

Be not afraid, O land;
be glad and rejoice.
Surely the LORD has done great things.

Matt 28:10

Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid.
Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me."


Luke 1:30

But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God.

Luke 2:10

But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.

Luke 12:32

Do not be afraid, little flock,
for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom.


Hebrews 13:6


So we say with confidence,
"The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?"

Revelations 1:17

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last."


He told all the history makers in the Bible the same thing- "do not be afraid". Abraham, Mary, Moses, the disciples, John. Again, this is a blog that is more for me to have so I can come back and read often because fear is one of those things I battle. I find a lot of reason to be afraid right now and I really hate what it does to my relationships with my family, my friends, my trust in the God who gave the commandment in the first place.

The truth is it doesn't make sense to NOT be afraid, but I guess that's why we also get to have hope.

Reasons why God says to not be afraid (not an exhausted list by any means):
  • There is real reason to be afraid (i.e.- an army, a den full of lions)
  • Angels are scary, and people who see God face-to-face DIE.
  • There is going to be a real reason to be afraid.
I've noticed that God is creative and He is constantly changing things up. He is always asking people to do ridiculous things. Walk around a city for seven days and then it's yours. Be okay with being pregnant even though you're a single, teenage girl. Don't be lost in hopelessness even though you've been captured and carried off far, far away. It is all being handled. I've yet to be asked to do ANY of those things and not being afraid is so hard for me.

Don't be afraid when money looks tight.
Don't be afraid when that boy doesn't love you back.
Don't be afraid when that boy does love you back.
Don't be afraid when you don't know where you're going to work.
Don't be afraid when you feel like internet television could be your future.
Don't be afraid when all you want to do is go and you are stuck standing still.
Don't be afraid when everyone loses their mind around you.
Don't be afraid when none of your plans are coming together.
Don't be afraid when the people you love are far away.

I have no guarantees for you. I have no explanation and I have no insider knowledge as to how things are going to work out. I don't know. But I think that is the basis of this whole thing.
"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7

This is surely the sign that something big is coming for you.

3 comments:

leslie said...

that hit the spot.
i am blessed to know you.

gschof said...

lucky for me you have provided the right medicine for my ailing heart.

:o)

Grey said...

Thank you.
Just...
Thank you.