Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2008

If I Had My Life To Live Over.



If I had my life to live over,
I'd try to make more mistakes next time.
I'd relax. I'd be sillier than I have been this trip.
I know of very few things I would take seriously.

I would be less hygienic,
I would take more chances,
I would climb more mountains,
Swim more rivers and watch more sunsets.
I would eat more ice cream and fewer beans.

I would have more actual problems and
fewer imaginary ones.
You see, I am one of those people who lives
SERIOUSLY
and SANELY
hour after hour, day after day.
Oh, I have had my moments
And if I had to do it over again, I'd have more of them.
In fact, I'd have nothing else.
Just moments.
One after another
Instead of living so many years ahead of each day.

I have been one of those people who never go anywhere
without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a gargle,
a raincoat and a parachute.
If I had it to do over again,
I would travel lighter.

I would start barefoot earlier in the Spring
And stay that way later into the Fall
I would ride more merry-go-rounds
I'd pick more daisies.



-from an interview with an 85-year old woman from the hill country of Kentucky