Pages

Monday, October 6, 2008

When I Grow Up

So recently my friend Erin and I have been putting our heads together when it comes to creativity. The truth is she is one of those friends that I should turn a camera on every time we have a conversation because we say the most ridiculous, beyond comprehension things. Actually, that's pretty quintessential in all my important relationships. People in my life who epitomize ridiculous conversations:

-Erin McGown
-Kyle Harrison Hickman
-Leslie Metcalf
-Ricky "the Caucasian Invasian" Taylor

Now don't be concerned if you didn't make the list. Things normally discussed in these conversations include gross child negligence, conspiracy theories, gymnastics and bodily functions, and nose harps. Maybe you're not so sad that we talk about regular things, huh?

I tried to put an episode of the Erin and MeLissa show on here but Blogger simply refused. I guess you will just have to be my friend on Facebook. Too bad for you!

Lately I have been immersing myself in the Redneck lifestyle. I've been watching country music videos, watching college football (on Tivo) and committing myself to My Big Redneck Wedding. The other night a real classy groom tricked his bachelor party attendees into thinking they were eating generic meatballs. They were really a turkey's man business. All they said was "Aw!!" If I was misled into consuming unmentionables... I would be doing more than just saying "aw!" Someone would be buying ME presents. And paying for my therapy. And buying me a car.

Our pumpkin party is this weekend. You are all invited. I am pretty excited because lots of great people are coming. Like Leslie. You + Me = Us.

I like The Killers. SNL has confirmed this. You can think they're dumb, that's okay with me.

I also like Taylor Swift, judge away.

On a lighter note, Copeland has a new album coming out soon. And they are playing in Nashville along with Lovedrug. This will be a great day for me.

Tonight I watched part of an episode of "Big Bang Theory". I feel cheaper. I feel like once we've all been downgraded to laugh at things like that... well, the problems with America's youth will be considerably worse than it already is.

My friend Jenni Collins painted me a picture for Christmas this summer. It is beautiful. I still have lots of wall space, though. SO some of my artsy friends... please take this time to create large works of art for me. This would be wonderful.

You should all visit Etsy because you will find things you never knew you needed.

Like this:Things that always equal a good present for me: birds, elephants, hearts, oranges, not purple.

You should take a break from reading this and make a list real quick. What should you write on this list? Write down things that you love because you genuinely love them. Not because they remind you of someone. Not because they are associated with a happy memory dependent someone else. Childhood memories. Flamingos. The smell of Thanksgiving. Watching the Macy's Day Parade with your grandma. The first time you heard "Brightest" by Copeland. These are good things to write down so when you lose yourself and you don't remember what it means to be happy, there are things that are constant and good. It's alright if its short because it will grow as you remember.

Take time to ask your friends serious questions, or questions that matter, every once in a while.

"You can never positively encourage someone too much." - Cynthia Mathis. I know she wasn't talking about over indulging someone. She was talking about the importance of building people up, how you can never make someone feel too special to you.

Other absolutes:
  • A girl should always get flowers on her birthday.
  • Always organize your closet.
  • Spending money on dinner with good friends will always be more worthwhile than spending money on useless stuff for yourself.
There is no use arguing. These are absolutes.

According to a reliable source, America has arrived in Nashville. This is too much for me. Let's just get our vote on already.

This took a lot longer to write this short blog than expected. Sorry about the let down.


"My sister wanted to be an actress, but she never made it. She does live in a trailer. She got halfway. She's an actress, she just never gets called to the set. "- Mitch Hedberg

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." -Lucille Ball

5 comments:

Allison Drew said...

1. I'm not sure why you want to be a redneck. I am sure that redneck wedding is one of my fave shows... which is pretty embarrassing. I just love a hot mess.
2. I love the killers. I do not love Taylor Swift. Judgement.
3. I don't think I can ever not like copeland.
4. I will make a list.
5. I like Mitch Hedberg and Lucille Ball.

MeLissa said...

Oh do not be confused. I in no way want to be a redneck. But I HIGHLY enjoy My Big Redneck Wedding.

Allison Drew said...

...and the list is complete.

leslie said...

i am so glad i made the list.

Kyle said...

I sure DO epitomize ridiculous conversations.